The Story of Babar
January - March 2013
Designed for Foundation Phase pupils (aged 5-7) this project was led by Sam Glazer who, with the Mid Wales Chamber Orchestra musicians:
- worked with children at four primary schools in north and south Powys
- introduced Poulenc’s musical soundworld
- devised new songs inspired by Babar’s musical narrative.
Over 1,500 children attended the interactive concerts which included:
- Poulenc’s ‘The Story of Babar’ (in David Matthews’ arrangement for chamber ensemble)
- excerpts from Tchaikovsky’s ‘Nutcracker Suite’
- performances of the newly created songs by Years 1 & 2 pupils from Forden, Llandysilio, Llanfaes and Crickhowell Primary Schools.
“I liked our song because it sounded Brilliant.”
“I got to sing in front of everyone!”
“I want to play the different instruments I saw.”
“I wish I could do it all over again.”
“I want to go to Theatr Hafren again.”
“I loved it when the lights went down and the music went fast.”
“… wonderful … The whole experience was magical. For many a unique trip.”
“The project was better than I expected. I was impressed with the outcome.”
“The project was more than I expected … I would encourage other teachers to get involved.”
“A fantastic musical experience. I was very impressed with how well organised both the school visit and theatre performance were.”
We are very grateful to the Ashley Family Foundation, Theatr Brycheiniog, Theatr Hafren, the Gibbs Trust and Powys County Council for their generous support of this project.